Disassembling and Reassembling Crankshaft
- VW 161a Lock ring pliers, for removing and installing gear lock ring
- VW 202 Puller with
- VW 202a Puller jaws
- VW 202f Block -- for removing gears from crankshaft
- VW 310a Crankshaft bench mount
- VW 427 Guide tube, for installing camshaft drive gear, spacer. and
distributor drive gear on crankshaft.
- VW 428 Tapered guide tube, for installing gear lock ring on crankshaft
Specifications for Plain Bearing Crankshaft
| Stroke|| mm|| 74 (2.913 in) |
| Connecting rod journal diameter|| mm || 53 (2.0866 in)|
| Main bearing journal diameter|| mm|| Bearing 1: 50 mm (1.9685 in)|
| || || Bearing 2: 55 mm (2.1654 in) |
| || || Bearing 3: 55 mm (2.1654 in) |
| || || Bearing 4: 40 mm (1.5748 in) |
- Install crankshaft in VW 310a bench mount (mount has 8 seating holes).
- Remove connecting rods (51 En).
- Using VW 161a lock ring pliers, remove gear lock ring from crankshaft.
- Remove distributor drive gear, spacer, and camshaft drive gear from
crankshaft using VW 202 puller with VW 202a puller jaws and VW 202f
block, Minor scoring in the seating surface should be removed with
care although the dressing must not impair the press fit of the gears,
Reassembly is accomplished in reversed order of the above by noting
the following points:
- Check crankshaft for whip, cracks (acoustical sound test), or wear,
Replace crankshaft if necessary, The crankshaft may be reground.
The crankshaft can only be reground at the factory.
- To simplify reassembly, mark insert of Bearing 1 at the crankcase
joint (this aids in locating the dowel pin seat).
- Insert Woodruff key for camshaft and distributor drive gears.
- Inspect camshaft drive gear for wear and tooth contact, heat to 80 deg C
(176 deg F), and press onto crankshaft, with chamfered side facing
flywheel, using VW 427 guide tube.
- Check distributor drive gear for wear, replace if necessary. Heat
gear to 80 deg F (176 deg F) and press onto crankshaft using VW 427 guide
- Install gear lock ring on crankshaft, use VW 428 tapered guide tube
to prevent damaging the bearing journal. Check gears for firm seating
- Clear oil galleries with compressed air, flush with oil.
- Install connecting rods.