Porsche 904Designed by Ferdinand 'Butzi' Porsche, the 904 looks like a rocket ship even when standing still. Here was a racing car designed to be street legal as well. The first 100 were built in 1964 and fitted with the 4 cylinder, 4 cam Carrera engine since the 6 cylinder destined for the 911 was not ready yet.
The frame was a box structure with the body bonded to it providing adequate rigidity. The seats were also molded into the car. Driver accommodations made by a telescoping steering wheel and adjustable pedals.
The car was delivered to customers with both racing and street exhaust systems. The racing version at 1433 lbs would do over 160 MPH, a standing kilometer in 24.5 seconds and 0-100 km/h (62 MPH) in six seconds.
In 1965 another 20 were produced for use as prototypes with 6 and 8 cylinder engines.
Several of the 904 were called 906 by the factory after being fitted with 6 and 8 cylinder engines. The 904 had several features that were troublesome. The fiberglass body was bonded to a steel subframe. This construction technique was suspect because any corrosion problems were hidden under the fiberglass. Further the bodies were made by spraying chopped fiberglass into a mold. The amount sprayed varied in thickness and as a result the weight of the various cars was inconsistent.